More than a game – socially conscious simulations and role plays for the language teacher Harrogate UK, 1 April 2014 The Global Issues SIG PCE in 2014 takes as its focus the area of ‘games’ as a means to practice English while raising awareness about social issues. We have three great sessions by award-winning authors […]
Archive | Event RSS feed for this section
Pre-Conference Event 2014: More than a game – socially conscious simulations and role plays for the language teacher
Helen Strong reports on the Global Issues SIG’s Pre-Conference Event which took place in the Hilton Hotel in Liverpool on Monday 8 April 2013 Download a PDF of this article here Not having attended a GISIG event before, I was drawn to the theme of this PCE and to its curious title of “Unlearning learnt […]
The theme of our Pre-Conference Event was Unlearning learnt helplessness.Learnt helplessness is like an invisible arm that holds us back from taking action: asking a question, making a suggestion, making an effort to change the situation we are in. As a result,we feel helpless to change a difficult situation. It is a conditioned response as […]
Opening doors: bringing our global issues into class At this successful Pre-Conference Event (PCE) on the day before the start of the main IATEFL Conference which in 2012 was held in Glagow we had two well-attended workshops given by Jamie Keddie on “Videotelling – a marriage of traditional story-telling and video” and Alan Maley, in […]
The Global Issues Area was alive and thriving before, during and after the Conference, thanks to Bill Templer, Paul Woods and all the other members who posted messages. Some of the threads discussed included globalisation and linguistic imperialism, how kids learn about discrimination, prejudice and stereotypes, and women’s issues. Paul Woods posted a list of […]
We also had some excellent workshops and presentations during the GISIG Day at the main IATEFL conference which included: Sara Hannam (Greece): English Language teachers and their work: changing trends? Rachel Wicaksono (UK): Raising awareness of ELF in an internationalising university Alan Mackenzie (India): Evaluating internationalism in the curriculum Rachel Bowden (Malaysia): ELTDP: Enquiry-based project […]
- APPI GISIG forum in Portugal May 3, 2017
- GISIG at the APPI Conference in Lisbon April 23, 2017
- GISIG Track Day – IATEFL Glasgow 2017 April 6, 2017
- Zooming in and Zooming out by Nick Bilbrough February 19, 2017
- GISIG WEBINAR on 19th February, 2017 January 12, 2017
- Sophia Louise: Dear Avgi Vafeidou, I hope you are well! Thank y...
- Linda Ruas: Thank you Arnold / Chrysa - great, relevant resour...
- Joan Beach: Hello I am a retired teacher living in California ...
- Bill Templer: Here an excellent article students at mi-intermedi...
- Bill Templer: DIE LINKE in Germany, Katja Kipping, sent this out...