Description and photo gallery of this session will be available shortly.
Archive | Harrogate 2014 RSS feed for this section
Paper or no paper? Photocopier, duplicator or one dog eared text book? Blackboard or interactive whiteboard? Having worked in developed and developing countries, I have looked into methodologies and materials that reduce our carbon footprint. ‘Small is beautiful’ Environmental consciousness is not a new issue. It has been a part of teacher staffroom discussion for […]
In an increasingly hypervisualized world where images circulate around the globe with ease, learners must be able to critically decode the globally relevant meanings that lie beneath the visual surface of images. In my talk, I demonstrated how this new challenge for Global Education can be met when teachers apply a visual literacy framework infused […]
Through a series of hands-on activities based on Helbling Young Readers series, we explored some of the underlying values and how to expand their scope turning them into something meaningful for primary school children. Games and role plays will also help teachers realise the full potential of readers when working with values. Good readers and stories in general open […]
The session focused on ways of exploiting youtube videos in the classroom. The aim was to show how clips which raise real world issues can be used to inspire, motivate, encourage reflection and to trigger meaningful interaction. We tried out pre- and post- viewing activities which involve active exploration and critical thinking. Take a look […]
The use of English by non-native speakers to highlight global issues is increasing, often involving the clever use of social media. Should English teachers focus more on this wider use of English and pay less attention to native speaker socio-cultural aspects of the language? This talk looked at the arguments for and against and provided […]
Starpower – a trading simulation game Since its creation in 1969, StarPower has been one of the most popular trading simulation games in education. By conservative estimates, three million people have played it. It provokes participants to rethink their assumptions about the use and abuse of power and creates a memorable impression. In this session […]
- Teaching Resources on Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine March 5, 2022
- 17th May 2022 – GISIG Showcase (IATEFL Belfast) March 5, 2022
- 16th May 2022 – GISIG & IP&SEN SIG Pre-Conference Event (IATEFL Belfast) November 28, 2021
- 2021 Conversations for Change – Discussion Series September 16, 2021
- 2021 Global Shorts Film Club May 2, 2021
- Bill Templer: Chris Hedges on Shireen Abu Akleh's assassination...
- Bill Templer: As a background to HUP, re Israel and Palestinians...
- Teaching Resources on Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine | Global Issues SIG: […] looking for some general material you ca...
- 16th May 2022 – GISIG Showcase (IATEFL Belfast) | Global Issues SIG: […] educators and find out more about ongoin...
- Bill Templer: Palestine refugees have been displaced for more th...